Starting from our mathematics course I thought to look for other concrete methods to teach this matter that too often results abstract and boring … and so look what I found!?! I really like it, certainly if I teach mate I will also be inspired by this new method! And po i also explains those games that help the learning of mathematics by differentiating them between the first and second class … it's fantastic!
This project was born in my head during a mathematics refresher course: there was much talk of practical experience of the subject and so I started to wonder if there was a concrete way to play with numbers …
I carefully read the first cycle mathematics program and I started (in a rather intuitive way) to design a work that today has a good structure and that through the game aims to reinforce the oral calculation in the four operations, removing the students with chairs and desks.
Launch of the yellow dice (factors)
The activity takes place with the first and second classes in a small free classroom, using very simple material: some carpet on the ground, 9 large dice in foam rubber of three different colors (blue, red and yellow) and some colored balls ( blue, red, green and yellow), as well as a lot of imagination to vary and make everything pleasant.
Are used game formulas invented by me and that are constantly evolving, based on what I perceive to be the needs of the class or some individuals. I am exposing some that I consider interesting:
1) Risiko: 3 teams are formed and a competitor of each participates throwing the dice: who reaches the sum or the major difference gains three balls, who made the intermediate total receives two and the last one only.
2) Speedy: 3 teams are formed and a competitor of each participates trying to answer as fast as possible and wins a red ball if he guesses; the other two can win a blue ball confirming the answer if it is right, or a red one correcting any wrong result.
3) Challenge: (individual) a player chooses who to challenge and the challenged will then have the right of choice, until everyone has once participated as challengers and one as challenged (the first challenger will be the last challenged), then he starts again ; 1 ball for each victory as a challenger, 2 balls for the victory as challenged.
4) Open game: from the same dice roll, propose one series at a time a series of questions (eg: 3 blue dice, 1 red and 2 yellow, ask for the total blue dice, then the blue minus the red, then the product of the 2 yellow, then the composition of the number and finally if this is odd or even).
5) Piglet: Each child receives a folder in which a pig is drawn, containing 2 rows of 3 numbers each: through the roll of the dice the number which is like the extract in the bingo game is made; Each student rolls the dice in turn and all put a cross on his / her own folder when a number of their own appears, while the teacher marks the numbers released. They win: both, terno and tombola.
6) Bum: (this is an old game) to arrange the students in a circle and to count in a fast and increasing way, a number each, replacing the multiples of the chosen table with the word "bum" and who mistakes is eliminated ; when it is well acquired it is possible to perform a jump (the teacher calls out casually) or count in descending order.
Program for the first class:
1) Count the dice balls backwards and forwards and draw previous and next.
2) Search for major and minor, comparing first two dice and then two groups of dice.
3) Execute addition (adding the dots of two or three blue dice) and subtractions (with two red dice: remove the minor number from the major).
4) Dial the number with two or more digits: we throw a red dice (= tens) and one blue dice (= unity), and we ask the children what they match. (for example: 3 red and 5 blue = 35)
5) Acquire simple notions of the multibase calculation, assigning colored balls to each correct answer, that the pupils then change when they have a certain number of the same color. For example, in base 3: with 3 blue balls (units) receive a red one (ten); with 3 reds they have a green (hundred) and with 3 green one yellow (thousand). In short, they will realize that with a green ball, two red and one blue one has 121 points!
Program for the second class:
1) Additions and subtractions are complicated: for example, by pulling three blue and one red dice, the sum of the blue ones is executed first, then the red is subtracted.
2) Even the composition of the number becomes more complex: the changes from units to tens and tens to hundreds are required gradually, in addition to inserting the yellow dice (= hundreds).
3) The first multiplications arrive, with two yellow dice that become factors. Subsequently, a fixed value is increased as expressed by the dice, so as to completely treat all the tables.
4) The divisions are executed in a slightly elaborate way and they are faced only if the class is on average excellent level: one red die for the tens and one blue one for the units make up the dividend, while the divisor is established by the teacher based on the number formulated by the roll of the dice. The pupils will have to answer first ignoring and then calculating also the rest;
5) Finally, there is an introduction to the mathematical expression, inserting multiplication dice into one roll (two yellow dice, which have precedence), additions (one or more blue dice) and subtractions (one or more dice) red).
It's really interesting !!!!!